Skip to Main Content


Forty historic structures assembled in one place for visitors to enjoy.

Black Creek Pioneer Village features an outstanding collection of heritage homes, workshops, community, and farm buildings from across south central Ontario. Each of the Village's original buildings has been restored and furnished to recapture its original ambiance and demonstrate how settlers used it.

Tinsmith Shop and Masonic Lodge

Tinsmith Shop and Masonic Lodge c1850
Original Location: Woodbridge, Ontario (north side of Woodbridge Avenue)

During the 1860's many towns and villages had a resident Tinsmith who crafted items for the home and farm. The Tinsmith Shop at Black Creek Pioneer Village used to be a hardware store on the main floor, while the second storey was the first home of the Masonic Lodge known as the Blackwood Lodge. Named for Thomas Blackwood, a highly respected Freemason in the community at that time, the Lodge was used regularly throughout the 1870's. In 1900 the building was moved back from the street In 1983 it was dismantled and brought to BCPV for restoration. A joint project between the Freemasons of Ontario and The Metropolitan Toronto and Region Conservation Authority, the restored building was opened to the public in 1984.


Daniel Stong’s Grain Barn

Daniel Stong's Grain Barn 1825
On its original location

The barn has both Pennsylvania German and English influences in its construction. It is a single storey with double cribs or mows for grain storage. It has a large threshing floor in the centre which was used for threshing and winnowing. The threshing was the beating free of the grain seeds, and the winnowing (from the old English word for "wind"), left the heavier grain kernels free of chaff. A small granary with partitioned bins was used for storing the cleaned grain, while the straw was saved for bedding. The building is cantilevered, that is the west side of the structure does not rest on the ground but has open space beneath it to provide shelter for storage or livestock. The log construction has intentional gaps between the timbers to allow adequate ventilation for the hay and grain crops stored within. Restored and opened to the public in 1960.


Henry Snider’s Cider Mill

Henry Snider's Cider Mill c1840 Original Location: Keele Street & Finch Avenue

Snider's Cider Mill is vertical board on timber frame, built by Henry Snider in Elia on the banks of the Black Creek. This mill could produce about 500 gallons of cider a day but was used to produce cider for the Snider family and friends and was not in commercial production. A large iron, hand- operated screw press squeezed the ground apples to extract the juice. The apples were laid between layers of straw to filter the juice and the juice was collected in barrels for storage. Moved to the Village in 1959 and opened in 1961.


Fire House

Fire House c.1850
Original Location: Farm in Keele Street & Steeles Avenue area

This small shed might have served any storage or workshed purpose on the farm. During a time when fire halls were created and manned by volunteers it is quite appropriate that such a building might become the shelter for the little pumper. The 1837 fire pumper housed within this building was used to fight fires in Toronto for almost 4 decades. Built of solid mahogany, it was given to the City of Toronto by the British America Assurance Company and was operated by a brigade of volunteers. Using water poured in the top or suctioned from a nearby water supply the pumper, with 5 or 6 men on each side, pumping 60 to 70 strokes per minute, could produce a 1 inch stream that could be delivered to a height of 75 feet. Opened to the public in 1968.


Apple Storage Cellar

Apple Storage Cellar c. 1850
Original Location: Edgeley, Ontario (Jane Street and Hwy #7)

Built using field stone and brick. Only 8 feet by 7 feet on the inside it took 65 man days to dismantle and rebuild this tiny structure on site at Black Creek. It has two sets of doors to better insulate the space for fruit and root vegetable storage. A small vent at the opposite end from the doors was opened and closed according to the weather to regulate the temperature inside. Wooden bins along the walls held the apples in layers of straw to insulate the fruit and increase their storage life. The Apple Cellar was dismantled and re-erected at the Village in 1976.


Chicken House

Chicken House c.1860
Original Location: Kettleby, Ontario (King Township)

Constructed of round log, this type of construction was somewhat "temporary" in that round logs were not as weather proof as the squared log structures. It was quick and inexpensive to erect, making the building ideal for poultry or livestock housing. Moved to the Village in 1972 and restored in 1973.


Stong Homestead

Stong Homestead
On its original location

The Stong Homestead was established in 1816 by Daniel Stong and Elizabeth Fisher Stong. The first building in the farm complex is believed to have been the one storey log house. The Grain Barn was constructed circa 1825. In 1832, the Second House was built as the main farm house and the first log house was reused as an outbuilding.

In 1957, restoration to an interpretive date circa 1832 was begun on The Second House, a two and-a-half storey log house. The asphalt siding and one storey frame shed was removed. New clapboard cladding was reproduced from photographic evidence. A one storey, open, frame verandah was reconstructed based upon a circa 1900 photograph. Interior changes included moving the interior stairs and reconstruction of a period fireplace and chimney in the kitchen. The nineteenth century Doddy House shown in the archival photograph was removed prior to 1957.


Daniel Stong’s First House

Daniel Stong’s First House 1816
On its original site

This sturdy, squared log house with finely dovetailed joints built by Daniel Stong and Elizabeth Fisher Stong is the oldest building at Black Creek Pioneer Village. With its three small rooms and large stone fireplace, it shows both the simplicity of the early pioneer home and the hard work of survival. The home was lived in by the Stong family until 1832 when it became an outbuilding used for storage / poultry. There was some log replacement and a new window opening with a 6/6 sash introduced in 1957. All interior partitions and the fireplace date to the 1958 restoration.



Daniel Stong's Smoke House c.1820 (reconstruction)
On its original site

This building is a squared log structure with dovetailed corners. This building, which stood on the property for approximately 100 years, was reconstructed on its existing stone foundation. It is a utilitarian outbuilding 7 logs high, with a cantilevered roof providing a sheltered exterior work area. The interior is divided into 2 rooms, one for butchering and preparing meat, and the other for smoking the meats to preserve them for storage. This building opened to the public in 1960, it suffered a fire in 1965 and was rebuilt in the same year.


Daniel Stong’s Second House

Daniel Stong's Second House c. 1832
On its original site

Built on a fieldstone foundation with squared logs and dovetailed corners, Daniel and Elizabeth Stong's second home shows the signs of their prosperity in sixteen years of homesteading with its brick fireplace, bake oven and clapboard siding. This fine two storey home had plenty of space for their six sons, two daughters and the occasional visitor or hired hand. The building was restored in 1960.


Laskay Emporium

Laskay Emporium 1856
Original Location: Laskey, Ontario (King Township)

The general store and post office that Mr. Joseph Baldwin built in 1845 served customers well into the 20th century. There was a store room with the store and flanking that was an open front horse and buggy shed. The store was saved from demolition and brought to Black Creek Pioneer Village on February 19th, 1960. Restoration of the building to circa 1845 was conducted including the reconstruction of the store room based on historical documents. The frame structure has a 'boom town' front, with a long slope roofed veranda that was reconstructed based on photographic evidence circa 1911.


Limehouse Outhouse

Limehouse Outhouse c. 1840
Original Location: Limehouse, Ontario (near Georgetown).

This impressive privy is Neoclassical/ Georgian in style with a wooden structure and gabled roof. The sides of the structure are horizontal lapp siding, with vertical board and batten on the back. The front has panel door and 3 over 2 pane sidelights. With its three hole facility the Limehouse is rather unique. The structure was moved in 1971 and restored for opening in 1972.


Half Way House Inn

Half Way House Inn 1849
Original Location: Scarborough, Ontario (Kingston Road and Midland Ave.)

This Georgian, two storey building is equipped with a single storey kitchen tail and shed extension. Alexander Thompson built the Half Way House in the years 1847 - 1848. The building is representative of pre-confederation taverns that were known in Southern Ontario. The Half Way House originally served as a resting place for stage coach passengers making the trip between Dunbarton, Pickering and Toronto. Over the years the Half Way House served as a hotel, an apartment building and later as a store. In 1966 this frame built Ontario classic was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village. The building required extensive restoration and reconstruction back to its original function and form. The kitchen was reconstructed based on structural evidence and archival documents. A modern restaurant facility was introduced to the basement.


Daniel Flynn House

Daniel Flynn House 1858
Original Location: Newtonbrook, Ontario (Yonge Street, now north Toronto)

This home tells the story of a successful tradesman, the Shoemaker. First an itinerant craftsman, as business grew he built a home with an attached shop. The architecture shows the pleasing proportions of the Ontario classic style. The "boom town" front may have been to give the building a more imposing look or the house may have been built in two parts with the front used to connect the parts. The home was built about the same time as the Boot & Shoe Shop, when Daniel Flynn purchased the lot from Joseph Beckett. The home was moved to the Village in 1959, restored and opened in 1960.


Burwick House

Burwick House 1844
Original location: Woodbridge, Ontario (Pine Street)

This beautifully proportioned home was constructed by Rowland Burr in Woodbridge, a community then known as Burwick. The house is an extremely fine example of rural Georgian architecture with an imposing facade. This two storey building had a kitchen wing at the rear with an adjoining coach house. The building was constructed with mortise and tenon framing covered with clapboard, the interiors were finished with lath and plaster. On August 13, 1958, the front portion of Burwick House was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village more or less intact, the kitchen wing was then reconstructed as authentically as possible. The barn was acquired separately and restored to original.


Dickson's Hill School

Dickson's Hill School 1861
Original Location: Markham, Ontario (Concession 7)

Built in 1861, this school, S.S.#17 for Markham, is a fine example of the one-room school typical of the period. Tradition says that hand-made brick from the local area was used and the total cost of the building was $1,078.79. In 1960 the building was dismantled brick by brick, and moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village where it has been restored to its original condition. The original school bell accompanied the building. The school has large windows on both sides allowing for improved light and cross ventilation. Heat is provided by a box stove at the back of the room with a stove pipe running the full length of the room to the chimney at the front.


Roblin's Mill

Roblin's Mill 1842
Original location: Ameliasburg, Ontario (Prince Edward County)

Roblin's Mill was built in 1842 by Owen Roblin, the grandson of a United Empire Loyalist. When purchased by the Metro Toronto and Region Conservation Authority, the mill was scheduled for demolition. The original timbers, flooring and machinery were salvaged and moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1964. When the Mill was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village it was established that the original 1848 wheel measuring 30 ft. in diameter was not necessary to achieve the same results. In 1965 a replacement wheel of red oak measuring 18 feet in diameter was installed. The red oak did not prove to be as resistant to weathering as had been hoped and in August 1984 a new wheel made of white oak and weighing 6000 pounds was installed. Today, Roblin's Mill is the only operating stone mill in Toronto.


Fisherville Church

Taylor Cooperage c. 1850
Original Location: Paris, Ontario

This 1 ½ storey timber frame structure with board and batten was the home of the Cooper's Workshop. Designed with a second floor to provide plenty of storage for the raw materials used by the Cooper to craft a wide range of wooden containers that were used to ship all manner of supplies. Located next to the Grist Mill the shop was likely kept busy building barrels for f lour. The Cooperage was moved in 1976 to Black Creek Pioneer Village, restored and opened in 1988.


Fisherville Church

Fisherville Church 1856
Original Location: Fisherville, Ontario (Dufferin Avenue and Steeles Avenue)

The Fisherville Church is an excellent example of the Greek Revival architectural style so popular in the middle of the 19th century. It is timber frame, wood sheathing, and has batten finish. The church was located originally at the corner of Steeles Avenue and Dufferin Street and named after Jacob Fisher who donated the land on which it was built. Designed with large windows to allow in the maximum amount of light, the church provided a place for local families to gather for worship in the box pews. The Fisherville Church was Presbyterian until 1925 when the congregation voted to join the United Church of Canada. Moved in one piece to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1960 and restored for opening in 1962, the church still has many weddings performed in it every year.



Cemetery 1845
On its original location

This cemetery dates from 1845 and is located on its original site. The first known interment was that of Michael Stong. A number of the Stong family members are interred here, including Daniel Stong and Elizabeth Fisher Stong, the original settlers of the farmstead where Black Creek Pioneer Village is located. The cemetery also served as the final resting place for several other local settler families: Kaiser, Boynton, and Hover. The last known burial in this cemetery was that of Frank Boynton in 1927.


Church Drive Shed

Church Drive Shed 1860
Original Location: Vaughan Township

This three sided vertical board on timber frame structure was built on a random stone foundation. The purpose was to provide covered parking for the horses and buggies of the church parishioners to keep their animals and vehicles out of the weather. Dismantled in the 1970's by the Credit Valley Conservation Authority, the Drive Shed was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1982 and restored.


The Manse

The Manse 1835
Original Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario (on Yonge Street)

This building is neo-classic in style and typical of the small houses built in Ontario villages in the 1830s. Its construction is rare with walls of plank-on-plank construction consisting of 2 x 6" boards nailed one on top of the other. Every other plank is offset to produce a keying effect for the plastered interior and stuccoed exterior. The building was used by Rev. James Dick, as manse to the Richmond Hill Presbyterian Church, from 1849 until his death in 1885. From that time the building was used as a store, residence, Sunday School and office. The Manse was a fitting complement to the Fisherville Presbyterian Church which had been moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village and reopened in 1961. The Manse was moved in two pieces to Black Creek on October 7, 1978.


Rose Blacksmith Shop

Rose Blacksmith Shop c. 1855
Original Location: Nobleton, Ontario

The Blacksmith was considerd one of the most essential tradesmen in an early community. Whose most important function was to make tools for himself and other craftsmen. This simple building consisting of a timber frame structure with board and batten finish also contains a brick forge and anvil. Tools used to make and repair carriages, wheels and various other agriculture tools. The building was moved to the Village in 1958 and opened in 1960.


Daniel Flynn Boot and Shoe Shop

Daniel Flynn Boot and Shoe Shop c. 1858
Original Location: Newtonbrook, Ontario (Yonge Street, now north Toronto)

In 1963, architect Napier Simpson described the building, "This small building has traces of Classical architecture incorporated in its facade. No doubt the man who built it was aware of good taste in architecture. Realizing that his establishment was on the main thoroughfare (Yonge St.) and seen by many hundreds of people every day, he planned a well designed building. However the size of the building presupposes that it could only serve a very small business." Built about the same time as the Flynn home, the east side door would originally have provided easy access between shop and house. The Boot and Shoe Shop was opened to the public in 1963.


Dominion Carriage Works

Dominion Carriage Works 1860
Original Location: Sebringville, Ontario (Perth County)

The carriage works building originally housed a blacksmith and wheelwright shop. In the 1870s the business prospered and enlarged into a full-fledged carriage works including an upholsterer and cabinet maker. With the development of automobiles in the 20th century the business for the carriage maker declined. The Dominion Carriage Works was operated on a limited basis by Mr. Ash until 1972. In 1973 the building was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village complete with its original tools and patterns. Restoration and re-assembly was completed and the building was opened for viewing by the general public in 1976.


Doctor’s House

Doctor's House c. 1830
Original Location: Chinquacousy (Brampton), Ontario

The verandah with its curved copper roof is a welcome entrance to this timber frame home with wood sheathing and stucco finish. The home was originally a farm house designed to accommodate two generations of the family at once. With two front doors, completely separate upstairs and doors to close off each wing, two families could live separately in the same home. This design made the house ideal for the village doctor. With one section of the house used as living quarters, the other section served as the doctor's office and waiting room. The building was dismantled and moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1973; once restored it was opened to the public in 1978.


Printing Office

Printing Office 1850
Original Location: Kettleby, Ontario

Originally built as a Temperance Hall by the Sons of Temperance in Kettleby, this building is constructed of timber frame with vertical plank and clapboard siding. The Temperance Hall was given a second life as home to the village printer and weaver. The high ceiling, white walls, and many windows make this building ideal for the fine work of setting type, printing and proof reading. Moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in one piece in 1968, the Temperance Hall was restored and opened in 1971.


Charles Irvine’s Weaver’s ShopCharles Irvine's Weaver's Shop 1850

Original Location: Kettleby, Ontario

Located in the back portion of the Kettleby Temperance Hall the weaver's shop is in same building that houses the village printer. The weaver's shop was established with an "up to date" flying shuttle loom, and a large warping mill. With these tools the weaver could produce a wide range of textiles used in the household. During the early 1860's there were over 600 weavers located in small communities across Ontario.

Mackenzie House

Mackenzie House c. 1830
Original Location: Woodbridge, Ontario (Islington Avenue and Hwy. #7)

This tiny log cabin was enlarged in 1850 to a 1 ½ storey home including a kitchen wing to more adequately house a family. The final occupant was the great grandson of the original settler Major Addison Alexander (Lex) Mackenzie after whom Major Mackenzie Drive in York Region is named.


Mackenzie Barn

Mackenzie Barn c. 1850
Original Location: Woodbridge, Ontario (Islington Avenue and Kipling Avenue)

Built on a stone foundation this small "town barn" was contructed using a timber frame and vertical boards. The barn was used by the Mackenzies to house the family horse and cart or buggy.



Wilmot Township Hall

Wilmot Township Hall 1858
Original Location: Baden, Ontario (Wilmot Township)

Jacob Beck built the Wilmot Township Hall in 1858, in Baden, Ontario, to house the Fifth Division Court of the County of Waterloo. The timber frame structure with clapboard siding and twelve windows was one of the most important public buildings in a growing community. Here an elected council met once a month to deal with issues of local government. As well the circuit judge presided over court regularly to settle small claims, contract disputes and property rights issues. The Town Hall is one of the locations where weddings are still performed at Black Creek Pioneer Village, for additional information please contact (416) 736-1740 ex.5444. The building was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1967 and restored in 1970.


Bolton Shop

Bolton Shop 1865
Original location: Bolton, Ontario (Queen Street)

The Bolton Shop has a two storey frame structure with clapboard siding. This building was originally a commercial building in Bolton, occupied by a merchant tailor. In 1967, because of its close resemblance to an early Toronto firehall, it was moved into Toronto to the corner of Yonge Street and Wellington Street as a part of the city's Centennial celebration. Here it was restored to house an original 1837 fire pumper and a firefighting exhibit. Following the celebrations both the building and the pumper where donated to Black Creek Pioneer Village. At the Village the building was once again returned to its original purpose as a small town commercial structure while the pumper was given a small shed of its own. The Bolton Shop was at first occupied by the Village gunsmith and as such had a smithing forge installed, and bars put on the windows. The building is currently housing a photography studio, with 19th century style studio sets available for visitors to step into and take photographs. The shop was moved to the Village in 1968, restored and opened in 1973.


Mennonite Meeting House

Mennonite Meeting House 1824
Original location: Edgely, Ontario (Jane Steet & Hwy. 7)

This 1824 log structure, built in Edgeley by skilled craftsmen of the Mennonite community, is the oldest existing meeting house in Ontario. The exterior is covered with clapboard and the inside is sheeted with hand-hewn pine boards. The building contains all its original furnishings and was transported intact to Black Creek Pioneer Village on October 15, 1976. Very little restoration was required to return the meeting house to its original state.


Broom Maker’s Shop

Broom Maker's Shop
Original Location: Sherwood, Ontario ( near Maple, Ont.)

This shop is a one and a half storey squared log home built on a random stone foundation. Thought to have been the first school in the Maple area, this little building was also used as a private home. The upper level with its low ceilings is unheated and unfinished, which is now used for storage. The main floor makes for an ideal workshop, housing the broom making equipment and living quarters. Moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1963, the home was restored and opened to public in 1973.


Edgely Slaughter House

Edgely Rabbit Hutch c. 1860
Original Location: Edgely, Ontario (Jane Street and Hwy #7)

Built with a timber frame and board and batten finish the slaughter house was used by several farmers in the community to butcher livestock. Because storing large quantities of meat was difficult in a time before refrigeration, farmers often worked together sharing the meat from one animal at a time. The Slaughter House was moved to the Village in 1970 and opened to the public in 1971.


Snider Workshop

Snider Workshop c. 1840
Original Location: Concord, Ontario (Keele Street and Steeles Avenue)

This building was originally constructed in the 1830's as a second house on the Snider farm on Lot 2, Concession 4 in Vaughan Township. When a larger and more comfortable house had been constructed, the building became a worskhop on the farm and at one time even housed a Woodworking and Blacksmith's Shop. The Snider Workshop was moved to its current location at Black Creek Pioneer Village in 1967 as it was felt that it would be complementary with the Samuel Stong House in educational programming. Relocating the workshop to the Village was a Centennial project undertaken by the Snider family.


Samuel Stong House

Samuel Stong House c. 1855
Original Location: Vaughan, Ontario (Jane Street and Steeles Avenue)

This log home was originally located on the northeast corner of Jane Street and Steeles Avenue, not far from its current location. Although various members of the Stong family lived in Vaughan in the 19th century, this house is representative of the house that Samuel Stong lived in around 1854. The house is currently used as an educational building where students can experience various domestic crafts and skills used by 19th century settlers.